Monday, January 24, 2011

Why I Like the Filibuster

In my work I am regularly called upon to make difficult technical decisions. My best work is done in a slow methodical way. Decisions made quickly in the passion of the moment are often regretted. Some of my best decisions have taken months to solidify in my mind. I don't find it strange at all that groundbreaking legislation can take months to work through Congress. In fact it should!

I've always respected the U.S. Senate for it's policies and procedures that delayed and inhibited the legislative process. Good decisions only come after the emotion has passed and thinking takes over. If you hear anyone talking about "streamlining" government by removing the filibuster please remind them that the legislation that got us into the Iraqi war was was passed VERY EFFICIENTLY. Is that the model for legislation that we want? If anything we need more barriers not fewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment